Private Alternatives Software Engineer
The Private Alternatives Infrastructure Department is responsible for delivering state of the art technology solutions that are designed to create efficiency, mitigate risk and grow revenue for the Private Alternatives business channel. Private Alternatives strategies include Middle Market Direct Lending, US/European Real Estate Debt and Opportunistic Lending. The Private Alternative Infrastructure group collaborates closely with investment business heads to develop plans in line with business objectives.
This is a hands on developer role with responsibility for setting up technology infrastructure. The cloud based proprietary infrastructure is a model for future deployments working with external SaaS (Software as a Service) vendor solutions. This role works with experienced BA's, as well as, extremely invested business partners that rely on collaboration and implementing strategic solutions.
Describe the applications and business or enterprise functions the role supports:
Private Alternative Infrastructure team implements, configures, tests, customizes vendor software and builds/enhances proprietary investment technology software
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The candidate will be responsible for creating and maintaining automated data ingestion pipelines, data set maintenance, cross system data synchronization and implementation of data quality and data governance tools
- The candidate will need deep proficiency in Python, including core language proficiency like usage of classes, decorators, building modules and multi-tasking in addition to the usual libraries like pandas, numpy, requests, etc.
- The candidate will need deep proficiency in SQL including stored procedures, views, triggers, and table schemas, constraints, and indexing in a Microsoft SQL Server based ecosystem in order to provide engineering guidance and direction to the both internal and external Vendor DBAs as one of the requirements of this business is temporal data.
- The candidate is expected to be proficient in usage of Cloud based data infrastructure. This business uses the Azure cloud, so the tool set is Python + Docker + Kubernetes in the Azure cloud, but similar experience with AWS or Google cloud is acceptable – with the understanding that the candidate must pick up Azure.
- Candidate is expected to provide direction and recommendations based on established policy and business requirements as well as collaborate with peer groups to identify scope and implementation approach for the PAI infrastructure, including Vendor systems.
- Work with 3rd party vendors and internal support in collaboration with the PAI team for the support of existing and new system platforms including DealCloud, Allvue/Black Mountain, Sentry, Atlas Technologies, Chronograph and Microsoft PowerBI. This includes working with the team on developing roll-out plans to ensure adoption of the infrastructure with focus on end business value
What makes this role unique or interesting?
Private Alternatives is one of the fastest growing segments of wealth management. This role offers candidates the ability to design, build and link technology solutions that don’t exist in the marketplace
What is the professional development value of this role, i.e. what learning and professional growth does the role offer the candidate?
As a member of the Infrastructure team at AB, you will work with a group of talented individuals in a highly team-oriented environment on next generation technology for multiple investment teams in Private Alternatives
Job Qualifications (The ideal candidate should have the following):
- Long term core developer experience, with a sustained background in coding. Apart from deep proficiency in Python, which is a must, it is desirable to have a record of development in a core language like Java or C++ (or Rust, Julia, Go, Swift). This is a core developer position, with the expectation of coding to a description provided by a business analyst, managed by Agile stories and sprints. Most of this person’s time will be spent coding and working with CICD, Agile boards and infra teams in deployment and testing.
- The core requirement is deep expertise in Python and the ability to go deep into SQL to optimize the data process. The data wrangling is expected to be in Python, not SQL, but it will require deep expertise in SQL to implement, as there is a significant external component to the data management.
- Must have worked in an environment with cybersecurity, monitoring, logging, APIs, etc (i.e. A large Enterprise environment) and have a good understanding of how to code to Enterprise requirements including testing, deployment, white-listing libraries, etc. There is no expectation of expertise in developing tools for any of the above, but it must be clear that candidate is deeply familiar in working with these tools and codes to that standard.
- Experience with the full range of data infrastructure and tools from Databricks to Power BIA self-directed individual with a can-do attitude, willing to work in an energetic, fast-paced environment, proactive in nature, and a proven ability to resolve issues with minimal supervision
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage time and priorities under pressure while meeting deadlines
Qualifications, Experience, Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience as a core developer
- Demonstrated record of core IT engineering
- Excellent US English communication skills including writing and technical documentation
- Exposure to BI solutions like Tableau and/or Power BI is a huge plus
- Experience with Agile project management methodology
Location: Nashville, TN