Senior DevOps Engineer
Are you someone who has a passion for DevOps and is looking to lead a team in helping own our platform and scale the level of operations that we provide?
This key role represents an excellent opportunity for someone who's looking for a very unique challenge, as you will be joining a Lead DevOps Engineer to together build of our first DevOps team in the US as part of our exciting expansion plans. You will also be part of a fast growing and global Engineering team of over 190 skillful people.
So, are you a passionate individual with prior SRE or DevOps experience, looking to lead a team and craft the future of the DevOps roadmap at Smart Pension for years to come?
As this is a senior role, you will be expected to own and be accountable for the reliability, security, scalability and deployment of the platform - and what your team does!
What you'll do
- Develop and lead the team (some line management duties required!)
- Work with Product and Engineering to own and build the DevOps Roadmap and Backlog
- Be the Product Owner for the DevOps backlog - understand the priorities of work and what business value they unlock
- Provide backlog progress updates to stakeholders within the company
- Manage, maintain & support our AWS and Heroku environments.
- Build appropriate tooling for development teams & clients.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team -- yourself included! - by implementing appropriate solutions or processes as required.
- Design & implement improved data security strategies for our platform.
- Own & implement appropriate monitoring & alerting as we move to a 24/7/365 platform.
- Assist the development team in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of our platform remains excellent across all deployments.
- Define Service Level Objectives for the Smart Platform, including working with other departments to define appropriate availability targets.
- Own & implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Smart's ambitious future plans, including deployment to secured third-party environments for a variety of different clients.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Update or produce documents to describe changes to the platform.
As a team
Smart Pension is dynamic, exciting and diverse. Pension companies in the past have been slow to adapt to new technology and methods, but with Smart Pension we're changing the world of Pensions and to keep up with it, we look for people who are happy to operate in an ambiguous environment, people who bring ideas to the table but above all, people who deliver software. We look to move forward at pace and we are upbeat and passionate about making things successful!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce. Over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches as the recent Rails Girls event - a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
We are excited by new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches. We run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team! Test new technologies, try new ideas - we're excited to get your ideas out to the world.
Smart Pension is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
We’re excited for you to make Smart Pension an even more awesome place to work!At Smart, we're a diverse team, made up of people from different backgrounds, experiences and skills. Our goal is to build great products to help people plan for their financial futures. We’re constantly developing new ideas to help people look after their pension schemes, in the UK and abroad. We’ve grown to a team of over 300 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. Recently we made it onto Great Places to Work UK's Best Workplaces 2020 at the no.70 spot for medium-sized companies! If you think you can help us build a smarter future, come and work with us.
If you have any questions about how we store your data you can view our updated recruitment data policy.
- Software Engineering or Developer professional background
- Lead the development of our AWS, Kubernetes and Heroku environments.
- Proven track record of supporting web platforms (e.g. websites or API’s) in production at scale.
- Experience in cloud platforms to upgrade and troubleshoot.
- Experience defining appropriate metrics to monitor web platforms, and alerting on breaches of those metrics.
- Ability to monitor and identify network policy violations and system breaches.
- Experience with incident response in an on-call environment.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Experience with AWS, MySQL, and Redis (or similar platforms).
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments. Linux experience is essential.
- Proficient with at least one server-side programming language such as Ruby or Python.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Terraform or Ansible, and understand their common use cases.
- Enjoys complex problem solving and delivering results.
- Familiarity with Heroku or Heroku-like PaaS.
- Familiarity with Amazon Aurora.
- Experience with container deployment platforms like Kubernetes.
- Experience with Docker & Containerisation.
- Prior evidence of developing command-line tools.
- Experience with Serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda.