Director, Data Science and Platforms
Available for the following locations: Remote | Nashville, TN | Louisville, KY
Hello, we're TechnologyAdvice.
At TechnologyAdvice, we are dedicated to educating, advising, and connecting buyers and sellers of business technology. As a trusted resource across hundreds of technology verticals, our unbiased research and crowd-sourced product reviews help buyers find the right software to grow their business.
TechnologyAdvice has been named as one of the Inc. 5000 list of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies four times, as well as inclusion in the Inc Best Workplaces list for 2021. In 2019, TechnologyAdvice received a Nashville Business Journal Small Business Award and was named the Market Mover in the Nashville Chamber’s NEXT Awards. We are also a five-time recipient of the annual Tennessee Top Workplaces awards.
TechnologyAdvice is based in Nashville, Tenn, with a diverse workforce and client base located across the globe. We’re growing and always interested in expanding our team with top talent...make sure to check out our perks and benefits listed below!
As the Director of Data Science and Platforms, you are a leader that is comfortable leading a team’s activities, coaching direct reports, and collaborating with internal business customers as we develop and enhance the software that powers our business.
TechnologyAdvice is a fast paced company that is growing very quickly. There are enormous opportunities to create technology that will have a massive impact on the business. As a master of both technology and leading people, you will help define and execute on a path to success.
We believe technology is a differentiator and we consistently strive to find the best technologies to make that a reality. We utilize Amazon Web Services, the latest devops tooling, top software patterns and frameworks, and whatever else we need to deliver incredible results to our business customers.
The team that this position will lead consists of data engineers and data scientists. They are building the framework to ingest, store, and activate insights from data sources across our web portfolio, external integrations, and our internal application databases. They build, train, improve and productionize machine learning models to augment, validate and enhance our data. As the leader of this team, you will enable and build the pipelines and tools to turn our data into actionable data, and built on the quality of the data we can leverage in our products and offer to our customers.
How You'll Contribute…
- Lead the team of data engineers and data scientists with a range of experience levels
- Lead from a position of knowledge and experience
- Create an environment that fosters rapid iterations, prototypes, and experimentation
- Collaborate with leaders throughout the business in search of ways to better leverage our data to fuel business growth
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to capture necessary data for use by the data scientists and data analysts teams
- Create and own processes in your areas of responsibility
- Provide incredible “Hero” level support to your business customers
- Manage multiple projects of various sizes simultaneously
- Ensure your team is fully equipped to do their best work
- Ensure your team maintains a healthy work/life balance
What You Bring…
- At least 3 years of management experience in a technical capacity
- At least 5 years of experience in a technology focused capacity
- Experience with Python
- Experience with MySQL and database optimization
- Experience with data tooling and ETL development such as Spark, Airflow, FiveTran, and DBT
- Experience with Data Warehousing schema design and best practices
- Experience with data science and machine learning (Supervised/unsupervised learning, classifiers, clustering) and leveraging models in production environments
- Experience using Agile and/or Scrum methodologies to deliver projects
- General knowledge of business software (Google Suite, Excel, etc.)
- Driven self-starter that thrives in unpredictable situations
- Data driven to make decisions in the best interest of the company
- Ability to build processes and set standards for best practices
- Ability to quickly identify business problems and the changes need to fix them
- Eager to learn and quick to contribute
- Project Management experience
- Experience with Amazon tooling (Redshift, EC2, RDS, SNS/SQS)
- Bachelors in a technology related field
- Experience with Kubernetes and containerization
- Experience with BI reporting tools (Tableau)
Why You Want Us...
- Remote/hybrid/in-office work options
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical, dental, vision, life and disability)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match
- Flexible PTO, take time off when you need it!
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- MacBook Pro or PC laptop, your choice
- Ongoing Career Development Meetings
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Subscription to the Headspace App
- Bucket List Benefit: We financially help you check something off your bucket list
- Monthly Team Outings and Quarterly Volunteer Opportunities
- Professional development opportunities and incentives
- Beer on Fridays! It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere…
- Milestone celebrations for birthdays, weddings, work achievements, and more
- Coffee, snacks, ping pong, and catered lunches 4 days a week in office
To see all job openings and learn more, visit our Careers Page.
Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
We believe that our differences make us stronger and foster a diverse and inclusive culture where people feel safe being themselves. TechnologyAdvice is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
Pre-employment screening required.
TechnologyAdvice is committed to the safety and wellness of each of our employees. In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we follow all CDC and local protocol.